Singh, Krishna M.
Areas of Interest
- Computational Mechanics, Development of novel parallel algorithms, meshfree methods, shape and topology optimization, Fluid Dynamics, DNS/LES of turbulent flows, CAE, Computer-Aided Analysis and Design of Thermo-fluid and multi-physics systems, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Modeling and simulation of flow and heat transfer in turbomachines, transport and energy systems
|2012-01-01||7 years||Associate Professor||IIT-Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||1 year||Visiting Senior Researcher||Hitachi Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd., Ibaraki, Japan|
|2003-01-01||9 years||Assistant Professor||IIT-Roorkee|
|2000-01-01||3 years||Research Assistant||Queen Mary, Univ. of London|
|1999-01-01||1 year||Research Assistant Professor||Shinshu University, Nagano, Japan|
|1997-01-01||2 years||JSPS Fellow||Shinshu University, Nagano, Japan|
|1995-01-01||2 years||Scientist `C'||Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Hyderabad, India|
|1994-01-01||1 year||Research Engineer||Transoft International Pvt Ltd., Bangalore, India|
|1993-01-01||1 year||Senior Project Associate/Engineer||IIT-Kanpur, India|
Honors and Awards
|HIVIPS (Hitachi Research Visit Programs) Fellowship||Hitachi Research Group, Hitachi Ltd., Japan||2015|
|Research Exchanges with China and India Award||Royal Academy of Engineering, UK||2013|
|Honorary Visiting Lecturer||Queen Mary, University of London, UK||2007|
|JSPS Post Doctoral Fellowship||JSPS, Japan||1999|
|Institute Fellowship||IIT, Kanpur||1993|
|National Merit Scholarship||Govt. of India||1986|
|State Merit Scholarship||Govt. of Uttar Pradesh, India||1980|
|B. Tech.||Mechanical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, India||1986|
|M. Tech.||Mechanical Engineering.||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.||1988|
|Ph. D.||Mechanical Engineering.||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.||1993|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Development of an Algorithm for Automatic Generation of Busbar Shape and Layout Design||Hitachi India Pvt Ltd.||2019-01||Ongoing|
|CFD for Moving Boundary Problems||Hitachi Ltd., Japan||2014-01||6 years 6 months|
|Investigation on Flow Instabilities in Draft Tube at Off-Design Operation of Hydraulic Turbines||Central Power Research Institute, New Delhi||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Computational Flow Study of a Conceptual Large Scale Tidal Turbine||Royal Academy of Engineering, UK||2012-01||8 years 6 months|
|CFD Analysis of CW System of MEJA Thermal Power Project (2x660 MW)||Flowmore Ltd./ NTPC||2015-01||5 years 6 months|
|Study and Design of Ventilation System of Traffic Tunnel of Larji HEP||HP State Electricity Board||2010-01||10 years 6 months|
|Study of Aerodynamic Behavior of Passenger Trains and Development of Aerodynamic Profiles of Coaches||RDSO, Lucknow||2008-01||12 years 6 months|
|CFD Analysis of Sump Model for Re-circulating Cooling Water System for MA-DMF Plant of M/s Chemanol||Simon India Ltd., New Delhi||2007-01||13 years 6 months|
|Investigation on Flow Induced Stresses in the Centrifugal Fans Used for Transformer Oil Cooling||Northern Railways, Ghaziabad||2005-01||15 years 6 months|
|Automatic Quadrilateral Grid Generation in 2-D||University of Ulsan, Korea||2004-01||16 years 6 months|
- Institutions of Engineers (India), Fellow
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Senior Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Fluid Mechanics and Machinery||MI-203||B.Tech||Autumn|
|Computer Systems and Programming||EC-101A||B.Tech||Spring|
|Programming and Data Structure||MIN-103||B.Tech||Autumn|
|Advanced Fluid Mechanics||MIN-521||M.Tech||Autumn|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer||MIN-527||M.Tech||Spring|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer||MIN-527||M.Tech||Autumn|
|Modeling and Simulation||MIN-511A||M.Tech||Spring|
|Modeling and Simulation||MIN-511A||M.Tech||Autumn|
|Advanced Heat Transfer||MIN-522||M.Tech||Autumn|
|Convective Heat Transfer||MIN-536||M.Tech||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Heat and Fluid Flow in Low Porosity Wire Mesh Packed Bed Solar Air Heater with Cross Flow||Shashi Bhushan Prasad||A||2004-01|
|Meshless Local Petrov-Galerkin Method for Phase Change Problems||Harishchandra Thakur||A||2004-01|
|Study on Turbulent Flows in Open Channels||Kesheo Prasad||A||2007-01|
|Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Thermal Contact Conductance||Mohammad Asif||A||2009-01|
|Investigation of Swirl in Pump Sump Intakes and its Control||Bhupesh Jain||O||2010-01|
|Improved MLPG Method for Large Scale Heat Transfer Problem||Rituraj Singh||A||2013-01|
|Development of Parallel Navier-Stokes Solver for LES of flow over Marine Turbine||Ankita Maity||A||2013-01|
|Large Eddy Simulation of High Speed Compressible Flow||Uttam Singh Rajput||O||2015-01|
|Numerical Study of Formation and Mitigation of Vortex Rope in Elbow Draft Tube||Subodh Khullar||O||2016-01|
|Parallel MLPG Method (tentative)||Abhishek Kumar Singh||O||2018-01|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics (QIP Short Term Course)||IIT-Roorkee||2020-07|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||AICTE, MHRD, Govt. of India||2008-01|
|Basics and Applications of CFD||Thapar University, Patiala||2020-07|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||AICTE, MHRD, Govt. of India||2009-01|
|Tools and techniques of CFD||AICTE, MHRD, Govt. of India||2010-01|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||Institution of Engineers (India), Roorkee Local Chapter||2010-01|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||AICTE, MHRD, Govt. of India||2016-01|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||AICTE, MHRD, Govt. of India||2018-01|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Ankita Maity and K. M. Singh. Scheduled relaxation Jacobi method as preconditioner of Krylov subspace techniques for large scale Poisson problems. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, 2019. DOI: 10.1080/10407790.2019.1690875
- Jianming Zhang, Baotao Chi, K. M. Singh, YuDong Zhong, Chuanming Ju. A binary-tree element subdivision method for evaluation of nearly singular domain integrals with continuous or discontinuous kernel, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 362, 2019, 22-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cam.2019.04.027.
- Rituraj Singh and Krishna Mohan Singh. Stabilised MLS in MLPG method for heat conduction problem. Engineering Computations, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1108/EC-11-2018-0541
- Rituraj Singh and K.M. Singh. Interpolating meshless local Petrov-Galerkin method for steady state heat conduction problem. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 101, 56-66, 2019.
- M. Asif, A. Tariq and K. M. Singh. Estimation of thermal contact conductance using transient approach with inverse heat conduction problem. Heat and Mass Transfer (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-019-02617-x
- Rituraj Singh and K.M. Singh. On preconditioned BiCGSTAB solver for MLPG method applied to heat conduction in 3D complex geometry. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 93, 83-93, 2018.
- Rituraj Singh and K.M. Singh. On preconditioned BiCGSTAB solver for MLPG method applied to heat conduction in complex geometry. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, 72(5), 377-391, 2017.
- K. M. Singh, E. J. Avital, J. J. R. Williams, C. Ji, X. Bai and A. Munjiza. On parallel pre-conditioners for pressure Poisson equation in LES of complex geometry flows. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 83(5), 446–464, 2017.
- K. M. Singh, B. K. Gandhi and V. K. Goel. Aerodynamic design of high speed diesel trains for Indian Railways. Indian Railway Technical Bulletin, LXXII(351), 9-18, 2014.
- H. C. Thakur, K.M. Singh and P. K. Sahoo. Phase change problems using MLPG method. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Application, 59 (6), 438 – 458, 2011.
- H. C. Thakur, K.M. Singh and P. K. Sahoo. MLPG analysis of nonlinear heat conduction in irregular domains. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 68(2), 117-150, 2010.
- B. K. Gandhi and K. M. Singh. Experimental and numerical investigations on flow through wedge shape rib roughened duct”, Journal of Institution of Engineers (India), Mechanical Engineering Division, Vol. 90, 2010, pp 13-18.
- H. C. Thakur, K.M. Singh and P. K. Sahoo. Meshless local Petrov-Galerkin method for nonlinear heat conduction problems. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, 56, 393 – 410, 2009.
- A. Mittal, B. K. Gandhi and K. M. Singh. Improvement in design of centrifugal impeller used for oil cooling blower system using CFD - A case study. Proc. IMechE, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 223, 981-989, 2009.
- S.B. Prasad, J.S. Saini and K. M. Singh. Investigation of heat transfer and friction characteristics of packed bed solar air heater using wire mesh as packing material. Solar Energy, 83 (5), 773-783, 2009.
- K. M. Singh, N. D. Sandham and J. J. R. Williams. Numerical simulation of flow over a rough bed. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 133 (4), 386-398, 2007.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Elementary analytical integrals required in subtraction of singularity method for evaluation of weakly singular boundary integrals. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Element, 31, 241-247, 2007.
- K. M. Singh, M. Tanaka, Y. Arai and T. Matsumoto. Flexible GMRES solver for boundary element analysis of acoustic fields. Transactions of the Japan Society for Computational Methods in Engineering and Science, 6 (2), 79-84, 2006.
- M. Tanaka, T. Matsumoto, K. M. Singh and K. Kurokawa. A DRBEM for the solution of nonlinear steady-state heat conduction problems in anisotropic solids (study on 2-D cases). Transactions of the Japan Society for Computational Methods in Engineering and Science, 6 (2), 115-120, 2006.
- K. M. Singh and J. J. R. Williams. A parallel fictitious domain multigrid preconditioner for the solution of Poisson equation in complex geometry. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 194 (45-47), 4845-4860, 2005.
- K. M. Singh and J. J. R. Williams. Application of the additive Schwarz method to large scale Poisson problems. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 20, 193-205, 2004.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Dual reciprocity boundary element analysis of transient advection-diffusion. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, 13(5), 633-646, 2003.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Dual reciprocity boundary element analysis of inverse heat conduction problems. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 190, 5283-5295, 2001.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. On nonlinear transformations for accurate numerical evaluation of weakly singular boundary integrals. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 50 (8), 2007-2030, 2001.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Analytical integration of weakly singular integrals in boundary element analysis of Helmholtz and advection-diffusion equations. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 189(2), 625-640, 2000.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. Least squares finite element schemes in the time domain. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 190(1-2), 111-131, 2000.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. On exponential variable transformation based boundary element formulation for advection-diffusion problems. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 24(3),225-235, 2000.
- M. Tanaka and K. M. Singh. Application of DRBEM and iterative regularization to inverse heat conduction problems. Transactions of the Japan Society for Computational Engineering and Science, 2, 2000.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Dual reciprocity boundary element analysis of nonlinear diffusion: Temporal discretization. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 23, pp. 419-433, 1999.
- K. M. Singh and M. Tanaka. Analytical evaluation of weakly singular integrals for Helmholtz equation. Transactions of the Japan Society for Computational Engineering and Science, 1, pp. 161-166, 1999.
- N. Ramakrishnan, K.M. Singh, R.K.V. Suresh, and N. Srinivasan. An algorithm based on total-elastic-incremental-plastic strain for large deformation plasticity. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 86, pp. 190-199, 1999.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. Three and four step least squares finite element schemes in time domain. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 12, pp. 425-431, 1996.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. Time integration in the dual reciprocity boundary element analysis of transient diffusion. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 18, pp. 73-102, 1996.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. Application of cubic Hermitian algorithms to boundary element analysis of heat conduction. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 38, pp. 2639-2651, 1995.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. On cubic Hermitian interpolation based time integration methods. International Journal for Engineering Analysis and Design, 2, pp. 1--6, 1995.
- K. M. Singh and M. S. Kalra. Least squares finite element formulation in time domain for the dual reciprocity boundary element method in heat conduction. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 104, pp. 147-172, 1993.